When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I’m feeling sad
I simply remember my thankful-est things
And then I don’t feel so bad….
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudel,
Doorbells and sleighbells and schnitzel with noodles….
It’s a random collection, but apparently there’s something really thrilling about animals, food, and doorbells when you’re a kid in Austria with a repressed old soldier with whistle hangups for a dad. Let’s get to my list….
- The Kid is still in utero and growing daily. (We’ll add my mood swings, swelling, aches, numbness, and insomnia to the part of the song that comes before remember thankful things.)
- Our money troubles were averted by the Great State of Georgia when the SREB scholarship fund came through in 8,800 little ways!
- Christmas is coming in about a month, and it’s always been our favorite season.
- Two cozy cats, one warm bed. ‘Nuff said.
- Pillows. Seriously, a pregnant woman’s best friend.
- Laughing with my husband about things we want to do (and NOT do) with our son as he grows up.
- My parents are just silly with happiness about this baby. And despite a few little health speedbumps, they’re doing well as they near the half-century mark… so The Kid will probably have them around until he’s, like, 40.
- My brother is all grown up, working, living on his own, and gasp! dating!!! Will wonders never cease….
- My in-laws are the kindest, most caring people ever. They have gotten more than a few laughs at me during this pregnancy, but it’s all in love. (Right, guys? You’re laughing with me, aren’t you?)
- There’s babies popping out all over! Christina just had her third, Andrea’s having her first, and next month brings Aunt Alice’s fifth, Bethany’s second and Barbara’s first; then I’ll have our little guy, and then Staci’s little girl is due. Lord, I just love tiny little socks and shirts.
- Gilmore Girls & Gray’s Anatomy. I’m getting my fill now so I can live without it after The Kid joins the crowd. I hear infants aren’t really into dramedy.
- TUMS. Do I need to clarify that in any way????